Thursday, February 10, 2011

Today: Talk to My Boss

Debrief: Actually my talk got postponed to tonight by my friend, so I'll have to talk about "Sharing Knowledge" tomorrow.

Let me give a quick assessment to everything else, because even though I say these resolutions are for one day only, the ideas DO linger on.

- Planning Ahead, I think, has worked out really well. All I have to do is kind of decide what small chore I want done ahead of time, and the rest of the night mostly proceeds with guilt-free goofing off. What do you know, those tactics our moms used to use on us back when work. Maybe I'll start implementing a gold star system, too!

- Speaking Clearly is not going well. Not only do I speak to hardly anyone during an average day, I don't speak to anyone for an appreciable amount of time. At most I'm asking a question or giving an answer, not chatting at length about whatever comes to mind, and that's more likely when I run into trouble. And here's an interesting observation: a lot of people kind of develop their own dialogue style that's hard to break into from the outside. And they don't have any time or inclination to stop and give a review of everything that's happened so far that you missed.

- Listening is progressing well, at least with certain people. Instead of imperially informing someone of something, I now form it more of a question: did you know about this? Have you tried this? Overall I feel like I talk at people less, and talk about myself less. But with people that just refuse to talk, I've got no answer.

- Finances is still a work in progress. Probably always will be, yeah?

- Being Cheerful is pretty easy, but how to inspire cheer in others?

- Baths turned out to be a great idea. It's easy to do, relatively quick, and pretty relaxing.

Today I'm going to do a big one. I'm going to Talk to My Boss.

Really hard one for me. I hate initiating talks with my boss. Okay, I've only had like, two bosses, but for some reason, that kind of authority freaks me out, or something. I despise it. I get along really well with most types of people, but I just get stressed out or something. Both my bosses have been pretty nice guys, too, so it's not like, entering the dragon cave. It just still seems to come with that level of unease. I don't know why. I guess I hate it when people waste my time, and they always seem so busy, so I feel like they're glaring at me while I waste their time?

But I can't just let this slide! I end up letting channels of communication dry up and die. Gotta re-up on these things, let him know what I'm up to, how I'm doing, what I need from him.

Gonna do it! Chaaaaarge!