Monday, February 7, 2011

Today: Speaking Clearly

Debriefing from Helping Others: Not too much of a reach for me, but I'd better be careful not to rope others into helping me help others, since that might technically defeat the purpose.

Today I'm going to try to Speak Clearly.

I've gotten pretty spoiled, sometimes, talking to my best friend all day, pretty much using a truncated language between the two of us that excises a lot of unnecessary verbiage. Also, punctuation gets a little optional, and freshly invented portmanteaus are quite in fashion. So it takes a little high speed parsing to follow, and people who aren't fully indoctrinated in that kind of nonsense, well, the polite way to say it is that they don't quite follow. The more impolite way to say it is that they fall behind. And I suppose the real truth of it is, they get disinterested, fast.

The worst thing I do, however, is restart conversations exactly where they left off. Even if we started it days, weeks, months ago. I'll just hop back in without preamble and expect people to remember and follow along. Better watch out for that.

So today, full sentences, complete with introductory lead-in for topics. I may have no idea how to do it anymore. I may have open with, "And now, I'm going to talk about something else."