Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Today: Minimalist Talking

Debriefing on Valentine's Day:

Xian: Love? On Valentine's Day? Don't you think that was a cop-out?
Me: Not at all, sir. National holidays are like pre-determined resolutions that the whole nation has agreed upon. Like Thanksgiving Day, you're already expected to be thankful, no sense in me throwing another resolution on top of that one, right?
Xian: Still think it was weak.

Today, I'm going to Minimize my Talking

I've done listening and generally being quiet resolutions, but this is a slightly different aspect. I want people to pay attention when I talk, and I often don't get this basic courtesy. I think this is because I'm typically a talkative person, and eventually the frequency I talk on is worn away - people I talk to frequently just stop attending to the sound of my voice. So today, with only the two exceptions of BFF's, I'm going to speak only when necessary, and what's necessary. Just ... stop and review, before I start talking, if it needs to be said. As if I have a limited number of words total for the day, and I need to save them for a ... boss battle.