Thursday, March 31, 2011

Today: Get Some Sun

Debriefing from Share Sad Stories: I get the vague feeling that different industries attract different types of people. Maybe academia gets its poor reputation of absent minded professors because people end up in academia due to a lack of overall life direction? Architecture seems to draw in people who like the permanence of buildings, combined with the passionate nature of design-work. Those two aspects together point towards a bunch of people who are all workaholics. Computer science must draw people in who crave efficiency, and ... machines that do work for them.

But, yes - sad stories. Everyone is Quarter Life Crisis (QLC) and hates their job. Everyone wishes they could quit and travel the world. Everyone wishes they didn't have to work and could play video games all day long. Except the architects, who love working 80 hours a week. I shouldn't have expected anything else, really.

At least my boss isn't trying to undermine my work
At least my coworkers aren't trying to take credit for my work
At least there isn't a nasty office manager who is deliberately difficult
At least someone doesn't tattle to my boss if I so much as take a bathroom break
At least I can commute to work within an hour
At least I have a desk and a computer to call my own
At least my workplace doesn't block websites/ips
At least my workplace doesn't demand I work overtime for no pay every day

Also, I've been reading firstworldproblems on reddit to remind myself that my problems are trivial.

Today I'm going to Get Some Sun.

There's sun out there for the taking! I'm going to get out there and enjoy me some nature, dammit! I just need to get out of work early enough to carpe lux.