Monday, May 16, 2011

Today: Plan Way Ahead

Debriefing from Execute: Happy to report that everything went off relatively smoothly. My contributions weren't maybe as critical to success, but I contributed, which was the resolution in the first place.

As for 'Sad But Scientific', it turned out that we didn't really do much as a group this weekend, so the theory wasn't put to the test. Lin, optimist as usual, says to look on the bright side, at least no one turns around and runs for it when I offer them assistance (he's a big guy).

On yet another side note: is that actually optimism? I've started to question what is really optimism and what is really pessimism. The best I can come up with, as an action plan, is to avoid pessimism by never saying 'no' to an invite without good cause. Or, in more general terms, never shooting something down unless I am really, really, without a doubt that it is going to be bad. One of my old co-workers was the most amazing pessimist ever - I still liked him, because it was actually kind of funny the way he'd be so negative about everything, like a human Eyore (sp?). But at least he'd do it, right? "Let's go to that new place for lunch." "It's going to be awful. New places are always awful." "Let's go anyway." "Fine." Even if it was awful, he'd just say: "I told you so" and let it go. You could even get him to go back, if you pressed hard enough.
Occasionally, some of my friends (all girls, oddly enough) will just dig in their heels with the assumption that things are bad, will always be bad, and can never get any better, therefore we will never, ever go there or do that. Let's use... Mexican restaurants as an example. I'm not a superfan of Mexican, myself, but I'll give it a chance, if pressed. It amazes me that some girls just... won't. Apparently, there's no way that it could possibly be good, you're crazy for even thinking that it might be, we definitely won't be going there. Ever. Even if they've never tried it, have no real reason to think it's bad, and everyone else says it's good. I think that's true pessimism - I don't think I do anything like that, but I'm going to keep an eye out for it. You should, too.

Today I'm going to Play Way Ahead.

One of my friends is perpetually busy. In order to secure his attendance, I think I'll need to be super official and nail him down for specific future dates. It's like trying to invite the President to tea. You got to get on the calendar somehow.

Ok, that's an unfair assessment. We have been blown off a few times, and sometimes we do go a few weeks without seeing him. But I guess, looking at the calendar, we are all quite busy in the coming months. Summertime, I guess. Camping trips, graduations, various weekend trips and activities have been booked all the way through to July. So I'm putting down a reservation for the weekend of July 9th for a get-together. That is probably the furthest ahead I've ever had to plan a party. Sheesh, I'm probably going to end up over-thinking this one.