Wednesday, November 9, 2011

DWTS: Week 8 Results

Separate post tonight for results show, because I sometimes spend the results show pondering things (I used to ponder why they'd need a whole show to tell the nation a single voting result, but that phase has long since passed.)

- Great dress, Brooke.

- Do the pro dancers really get along? Do any of them feel superior because of a long list of accolades and championships that other dancers do not have? I mean, Lacey did do "So You Think You Can Dance". And Derek and Mark are much more prone to hip hop moves and gaming the system to win - I know it's just a game, but they're still competitive pros, so I wonder if there can be bad blood.

- Chicken or egg: does the hot body come from dancing ballroom your whole life, or do only naturally hot bodies make it to the top in ballroom?

- Great dress, also, Carrie Ann.

- And speaking of competitive pros, how large does this mirror ball figure in the constellation of ballroom trophies? Some of these pros are five time world champions of ballroom, how much allure does this little mirror ball have for them? In some respects, the show is sold to the public as a 'game', but a lot of the stars get plenty competitive; how about the pros?

- I like DanceCenter. Rather, I want to like DanceCenter, sometimes it's so funny, but mostly it ends up awkward. Come on, Kenny, work with me here. Is it your goal to induce awkward silence? At least Ricki thought the very awkward segment about her was funny. Way to be a good sport, Ricki.

- When they said Andrea Bocelli was going to be on the show (and Flo Rida! I challenge you to find a more interesting talent announcement), I assumed opera, not knowing that he also does somewhat lounge-y music. He'll forever be opera for me, even if his wiki says "crossover artist".

- If there's tickets available to the Cirque Du Soleil tribute to Michael Jackson, I want some. Now. Though admittedly it's all for tricks, and not for dancing, since obviously I've been spoiled by DWTS and Jabbawockee dancing. But they have a one-legged breakdancer, you can't beat that.

- DWTS used to brag (or at least, make known) that all their results show performances were live. But I think this restriction has fallen to the wayside, with folks like LMFAO and Flo Rida performing songs that are suspiciously identical to the studio versions. Not that it is an entirely bad thing - Justin Beiber and the like would probably have a hard time singing and dancing live (it's almost impossible, you should try it sometime). I mean, it's not like they're NOT singing, or that the voice coming out of the speakers is NOT them, but I'd appreciate not being lied to. I can handle the truth.

Oh, and Nancy was pumpkin'd. It was midnight after all. Great job though, Nancy! And way to go, giving props to Tristan after all that abuse!