Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Biggest Loser S14:E1

Is it season 14?  I may be wrong about that, but we're going to go with it.
They always assume they need a new hook - I understand where the producers are coming from, but for myself, I don't feel that need.  Lucky for me, the changes are not that huge.  They've added a new challenge, more for themselves and America (the season is called Challenge America, btw) to tackle childhood obesity.  How are they going to do this in a more direct way than they have been?  They invite three overweight kids to rep each color team.  One wonders how they're going to keep this above board with juvenile participants?  I'm sure they're carefully clearing all this through many channels.  I mean, they look like they're about to kill an overweight adult every season, so they must have an army of lawyers.  I won't worry about them further.
The kids are treated gently.  None of them will be eliminated, and they get to stay at home for the most part with occasional visits to the ranch to work with their individual trainers, and they cannot be eliminated. Bob gets Bingo, a plucky young blonde dude (13).  Dolvett gets Lindsay, a mexican (?) 13-year-old girl who wants to be a cheerleader again.  Jillian gets Sunny, an Indian 16-year-old girl who's busy with AP classes and prom, etc.  It must be crazy difficult to be on TV as an overweight kid.
Of course, Jillian is back, and better than ever.  She ruins fools in the gym, and I hope I'm not the only one that sympathizes with Jillian when these fools give up on her mid-workout.  I mean, I know they're heavy, but these guys are professional trainers, the best; they're asking these people to do exactly as much as they can handle - sometimes it's as little as getting down on the ground and then lumbering back to their feet.  I had hoped that before a person goes to the Biggest Loser ranch, they knew that the whole point was to put your life in the hands of your trainer, have complete faith and trust in their expertise and realize that your way was obviously the wrong way. I was proven wrong this week, and that saddens me more than anything.  Someone on Jillian's team gave up mid-workout and left the ranch.  Jillian was so frustrated by her lack of effort on the basic movements in the gym that she gave her player a simple choice: workout or exit door.  And she looked right at Jillian and said, "I'm going to go with the door." Jillian's jaw dropped.  Bam, she was gone.  She didn't even wait until the weigh in and sacrifice herself!  Someone else on her team who actually worked hard and made the emotional commitment to change got eliminated after one week!  Outrageous. It's like she had never seen the show before.  As Xian said, did she think that everyone on Biggest Loser just got gastric bypass and a pat on the back?
So fail.