Wednesday, January 9, 2013

AC3: Day 1


A brief summary of what has come before plays – it is as I've told you, but it paints Desmond in a somewhat more positive light than ‘Animus Patsy’.  It also references the doomsdate of 12/21/12, but alas, I've begun playing the game on 12/22/12.  C’est la vie.  We immediately shift to the van of renegades plus Desmond driving to their mystery location.  When we have control, the game just wants us to walk forward – is it just me, or is that somewhat a waste of time?  If you’re not going to let me do anything else, why even let me control him?  Also, why is Desmond the only one not carrying equipment into the dark cave? 
Questions aside, when we use the Apple of Eden to move a secret wall and reach some kind of Temple inside, Desmond has another break with reality – I mean, Juno talks to him again and he collapses, and his helpful buddies put him in the Animus.
They chat quickly about ‘Animus upgrades,’ but I’m too distracted by the way Desmond is standing noticeably hunched over in the white cloudy Animus atmosphere while talking.  The stance is much more suited towards assassin-y action, and I’m relieved when the Rock Band girl wants me to do some simple calibration free running.  It’s not a long tutorial before I’m unceremoniously dropped into a theater setting, as someone named Nathan.  We’re watching a play, or an opera, or something, and I suddenly have to go murder someone on the balcony.  I climb the balconies, wondering to myself how no one in the entire opera hall is noticing the crazy dude in a cloak climbing along the balconies right in front of their faces.   It occasionally gets really dark, and I wonder if my gamma settings are off.
When I pause the game to go to settings, would you believe it says right there in the objective: “The First Civilization has led Desmond Miles and his allies here in order to prevent a massive solar flare that threatens all life on the planet.  Now they just need to figure out how to do it.  Desmond’s ancestral memories appear to hold the answers.”  Not only am I miffed that I don’t seem to recall this information being told to me at any point thus far, but I wonder if I've missed a lot of other stuff by not pausing and reading the mission text all this time.
Back to the murder.  There is some cryptic dialogue with the victim – now that subtitles are turned on, I can see that my character’s name is apparently “Haytham.” He murders a guy that he apparently knows, and steals a circular necklace, passing eerily by a child witness on his way out.  Haytham is then sent to America to locate a storehouse from the First Civilization, which the Templars seem to know about. 
Wait a second.  Isn't Haytham is a member of the Templars?  Even though he had a wrist blade and some mad parkour skills?  I suppose that is yet to be seen.
On board the ship, Haytham engages in a bit of combat for training, and expresses distaste for pretty much everyone aboard.  Is it just me, or is it terribly obvious that this guy and his Order are Templars?  Is that something that is supposed to be a surprise, later?  Because it’ll be a surprise for me if he isn't, frankly.   The odd thing for me is that my allies have Assassin signals over their heads.  I figured we weren't assassins.  Maybe it’s just me.