Tuesday, August 18, 2015

7 Days to Die: Day 1

Day 1, as in, the first day that I played it.  In-game, actually I think three days went by.
In the spirit of the game, neither Xian nor I read any walk throughs or guides.  It's an apocalypse simulator, and let's hurl ourselves in there and just figure it out as the apocalypse intended.

So we're just mostly-naked husks wandering around ruins and wilderness.  We have no idea where the other person is, and have to sit around experimenting with the controls just to figure out how to move around, crouch, etc.  I loot everything that can be clicked on and find.... a bunch of junk, seemingly.  Well, the thing I searched was labeled "smelly garbage" so, not like I had high expectations.

Zombies appear at the peripheries of my vision-limit, shambling around aimlessly.  When I crouch, I can see that they apparently have no interest in me, currently.  That changes quickly when I come across an empty building.  I move from 'sensed' to 'hunted' and quickly abandon the building search plan to book it back to empty wilderness.  A sign nearby proclaims it's a campground.  What a great idea.  Except it's overrun by zombie dogs.  How awful, in retrospect.

Death respawns me randomly somewhere else on the map.  It's snowing here, but I don't know if I take extra damage or what.  I hike out of the snowy area to another area and immediately start taking phantom damage and die.  Xian posits that I was standing in a poisonous swamp or something similar, but I had no warning or visual cues that it was.

All these deaths are reducing my maximum health?  Not really understood just yet.  We finally figure out that the green arrows on the compass are pointing at each other, and the blue backpacks are pointing at our corpse and dropped items, but respawning can happen in a vastly different area of the map, and it can take more than the cycle of the day to traverse the distance.  At night, the zombies really want to get you, and can now run.  There's no way to hide or survive.  Xian has fashioned a crude stone axe from some rocks and plant fibers, but it may be time to look around for some preliminary information.