Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Voice: The Drinking Game

Disclaimer: Probably you don't want to actually play this game.  You will get so drunk, it is not even funny.  Maybe just play it as a bingo-style game.

CATEGORY 1: Job
The job has to be something utterly crap.  The kind of job that if someone on the street told you that's what they did, the first thing you might say is: "But you're waiting for something else, right?"  No, really.  If you don't believe me, well, you've probably not been paying attention, and you will see when I start listing some examples.
- Utterly crap (e.g. work for family business, waiter, bartender, store attendant)
- Floating from music gig to music gig
- Supported by parents / In school
- Says the words: "But my real dream is to pursue music full-time"
- Indicates how money is tight and The Voice is a "really big opportunity that I need right now"

CATEGORY 2: History
Bonus points if they start with the words: "Music has always been a part of my life." Because that is a cliche too enormous to be ignored.  Music has been a part of everyone's life.  It's really hard to not have music in your life, dudes.
- Mentions being really into sports.  Maybe you don't know Meyers-Briggs typology like I do, but SP's make up nearly 100% of musicians and sports stars.  Don't think your 'almost MLB-career' makes you special, dude.  Every one of these musicians has the same history.
- Drugs or alcohol abuse candidly confessed to
- Unexpected pregnancy and subsequent "life-changing" parenthood experience.  See above note on SP's.
- Has been dropped by a music label already once
- Mentions a recent death in the family, and how they have to win The Voice, "for them"

CATEGORY 3: Appearance
We're looking for significant alterations and unique stylings here.
- Tattoos
- Excess piercings
- Hair coloring / Long hair for guys
- Silly headgear / hairstyle
- Wacky outfit

CATEGORY 4: Support Network
For some reason, everyone mentions support network.  And this usually falls into the broad categories of "My family totally supports me in my dream," and "my family doesn't get it and The Voice is the last chance before they make me go to graduate school"
- My family totally supports me in my dream
- My family doesn't support me at all
- The Voice is my last chance.  If I don't get on a team, I'll have to go to (something else)
- Family member a professional musician
- Carson calls someone using the very obvious Sprint Samsung tablet OR starts crying during confessional when talking about support network